Nowadays we have access to so many different foods. Supermarkets tempt us with scrumptious sugary offers like buy 2 chocolate bars and get 2 for free! And then there’s the super-sizing of everything (even coffee can now be bought in cups the size of large soup bowls!).
In our fast, competitive and consumer-driven world, moderation has gone out the window. But it’s not just a lack of moderation that is the problem, as most of us are now aware, it’s eating and drinking too much of the WRONG things and not eating and drinking enough of the RIGHT things.
I believe the body is incredibly clever and as I’ve said before, it can draw fuel even from a Mars bar. However, if you only feed the body Mars bars, then things can get out of balance pretty quickly.
I think most of us have come to the realization that how we look and feel largely depends on what, as well as how much we eat and drink . Over the years, I have tried and tested all sorts of ways to keep my weight under control, as well as keeping my body healthy and strong.
Please note! If you suffer from any chronic or acute condition then it’s a good idea to introduce changes slowly, so as to give the body time to adapt! The key is to listen to your body and take note of the signals it gives you. Many times when you start ‘cleaning out’ the body goes into a bit of what therapists refer to as a ‘healing crisis’. So if you love your coffee and you drink 2 or more cups a day, then best to reduce the amount of cups you drink in stages until you have some days where you don’t drink any (I know, it’s hard – I love my coffee too). But you get the idea.
If you have any diagnosed medical condition, then of course, it’s definitely wise to take things one step at a time. Also, if you are used to consuming thousands of calories a day, then I don’t suggest you cut down too much all of a sudden. It’s just a question of common sense.
So, anyway, here are six of my tried and tested ways to look and feel better, get fitter and at the same time lose weight!
1. DETOXIFY the body of chemicals (see my previous post).
2. Help ALKALIZE the body by avoiding highly acidic foods like meat, dairy, processed foods, sugar, refined flour, and drinks like alcohol, fizzy drinks and coffee (sorry!). Don’t cook at very high temperatures and use an oil like coconut or rapeseed to cook with (it breaks down at higher temperatures than olive oil). As someone said, disease cannot live in an alkaline environment.
And here’s a self help hold to balance acidity in the body: place the right hand over the left shoulder, and place the left fingers on the base of the thumb of the left hand. Reverse the hands for the other side.
3. I found out that a key to weight loss is to HAVE BREAKFAST within half an hour (and at a stretch no longer than an hour) of getting up in the morning. Do you have cereal or bread and coffee in the morning? Get rid of those empty carbs, I say!
Have a high protein breakfast (at least 30 grams). It will keep you going until lunchtime. If you can, choose foods that are not (too acidic). See a great list here of Alkaline/Acidic foods
4. It´s important to get rid of heavy metals in the body as well, and there are a couple of foods that I find very useful to do this. One is the herb cilantro or in English – coriander. I´ve read stories where including a few FRESH leaves of this herb every day for three weeks will really clean out those heavy metals. The other one is wheatgrass – preferably organic and fresh, but to be honest, I use organic powder.
5. MODERATE EXERCISE has to be included because exercise means movement and the body loves movement. It can be 10 minutes a day, but at least 4 hours a week apparently is incredibly beneficial (see post DIY Health Revolution by Dr Vincent Li). Sitting at the computer all day has been shown to increase the chances of all sorts of nasties like heart disease and stroke, so don’t do it! Get up and shake. What? Yes, you read it correctly. Shake. Stand in one position, feet comfortably apart, keep your feet on the ground throughout and start shaking your body up and down as if on a trampoline.
It’s a great way to release tension in the body and get everything moving. Otherwise, a half hour walk a day is good too.
6. Finally! MY FAVOURITE SELF HELP HOLDS to lose weight and stay fit.I have used these holds so many times. After 20 minutes of holding my cheekbones, my mind feels clearer and freer, as I let go not only of physical weight but mental and emotional weight too. When I sit on my hands for twenty minutes, I am not only getting my body fit, but this exercise releases lactic acid from the muscles (especially good after a work out so that the muscles don’t feel sore the day after) and alleviates fatigue. This exercise also tones the bottom and buttocks, ladies. It’s a lovely exercise to do for a dedicated half hour if you can. It’ll change your day!
So, for the WEIGHT EXERCISE:
Hold RIGHT Cheekbone to LOSE weight
Hold LEFT Cheekbone to GAIN weight
If you can’t remember which is which, hold both sides and the body will adjust itself to your personal needs. Yes, the body IS that clever.
For the FIT AND TONED EXERCISE:
Sit on hands (palms up)
Left Hand on Left Sitting Bone
Right Hand on Right Sitting Bone
I suggest 20 minutes minimum a day per exercise as a guide, but if you feel like doing more (i.e. more often, or longer), please do.
And of course: if you have any medical condition or are under the supervision of your physician or taking medication, please do seek advise from them before starting any program that includes supplements, a change in diet or exercise.
See the VIDEO with the self help holds explained below: